Low carbon features of our conferences
February 8, 2015
Over the past two years the Climate CoLab team has pursued low-carbon strategies for its Crowds & Climate conferences. Included below are just some of the initiatives that we have taken to be responsible for the conferences’ carbon impact:
- We created a virtual option for both the plenary and breakout sessions, for those who were unable to travel to the MIT campus
- The meals presented were vegetarian, and our caterer strongly favored local and seasonal produce;
- Our conference was waste-free, which included the following:
- All unused food was composted;
- All plates/cups, etc. were compostable or recyclable;
- No conference materials were printed or handed out (no bags, programs, etc.);
- All returned name badges were reused.
- Conference location was completely accessible by public transportation, walking and cycling.
Knowing that the largest carbon impact of our conference is the attendee and speaker air travel, one of our goals for the upcoming years is to continue to improve the virtual options we can offer. Thank you to all those who attended Crowds & Climate and forwarded an important and optimistic conversation about what can be done about global climate change.